Museum Building History
The Museum building was the original La Grange Train Station. The building was constructed in 1914-1915 time-frame.
The building is pretty much as it was when built except for a few functional changes on its use.
During segregation, the main room and adjacent smaller room by the Main Street entrance was the waiting area for whites. The room at the end of the hallway was the waiting area for colored people. That area is now utilized as a display area for the train store.
The office was and still is an office.
Across from the office was the area where the operator was located. The operator sold tickets through the window between that operators room and the waiting area. There were levers in the floor that were used to change the train switching equipment outside in the track structure.